Thursday, March 28, 2013

Name Sign Tutorial

Today I am sharing the name signs I have made for my kids over at Scrapping Everyday Miracles.  A few years ago, I was inspired by an article in a magazine by Jessica Sprague to make a sign with clothespins to hang my children's artwork.  I tweaked the idea to work with what I had available and have now made 4 of these signs, one for each of my children.  Here is how I do it:

Materials:
wood sign
wood letters to spell out name
2 clothespins
patterned paper
acrylic paint (2-3 colors)
scissors
foam brush
Mod Podge
sawtooth hangers
pencil

Step 1
Trace letters onto the back of patterned paper.  I used patterned paper on every other letter, but you could do it on all of your letters.  Cut out letters.


Step 2
Paint sign and letters.  I paint the edge of the sign a different color than the face.  I painted the letters the same color as the edge of the sign or a third color, just not the same color as the face of the sign.  Any letters that will have paper on their face only need their sides painted.


Step 3
Attach sawtooth hangers to back of sign.  It is much easier to do this before you add the letters to the front of the sign, trust me.  :)


Step 4
Paint the clothespins.  I try to get all of the surfaces.



Step 5
Attach paper to the front of the letters using Mod Podge.  Coat the letters with Mod Podge to seal them.


Step 6
Make die cuts to decorate the face of the sign.  For this sign I made lizards in three sizes using my Cricut.  Attach them to the sign with Mod Podge.  Seal the sign with at least 2 layers of Mod Podge.  Let dry.


Step 7
Once the Mod Podge is dry, attach the letters and clothespins to the sign using wood glue.


Here is the final product, hanging on the wall!


To see the other three signs head over to Scrapping Everyday Miracles!


No comments:

Post a Comment