Thursday, August 13, 2015

You're One!

Hi all!  I have a new layout to share! I've had a little time to work on some old photos.  This little guy just turned 5 last month! I am getting close to finishing his baby book though! ;) 

I was inspired by this week's Got Talent Challenge at My Scraps and More. The challenge was to make a custom title, no letter stickers allowed! I love getting creative with my titles, so this was right up my alley! I cut the word "You're" using my Cricut and the "Makin' the Grade" cartridge. For the word "One" I used a watercolor pencil and a water pen to write the word and then hand cut it out.

My papers were from the Bella Blvd "Tiny Tots" collection, but I pulled embellishments from several other places.

I was also inspired by Bitten by the Bug 2's challenge this week which was to use a birthday cake on your project. I found this cut on the "Stretch Your Imagination" cartridge. Most of it was cut from patterned paper, but I liked the grey and white star pattern from my washi tape, that I covered a piece of white cardstock with that and cut out one of the layers. For the "frosting", I used some Liquid Pearls.

I used the packaging "smushing" technique around my focal point photo and in the bottom left corner to add the blue and green to the page.  I love the controlled mess I get with this technique! As you can see in the photo below, I outlined the word "You're" with a blue pen to make it stand out a bit more. This was a layout that I ended up having to move things after I stuck them down. The big white and orange star started in the bottom right cluster and I was going to put the cake die cut near my title. Once I had it on the page, I realized that all of the photos of the actual cake were near the title, so having the die cut there seemed redundant. So I peeled up the foam adhesive on the big star and moved it to the top and put the cake in the bottom right corner. After I thought I had finished the layout, I decided that the title area and the bottom left cluster needed some of the darker blue, so I punched a couple of stars from the dark blue paper and added those.

Materials:
Cardstock- Bazzill
Patterned Paper- Bella Blvd., Echo Park
Stickers- Bella Blvd. October Afternoon
Tape- October Afternoon
Wood Veneers- Adornit
Brads- Crate Paper, My Mind's Eye
Ink- Ranger, October Afternoon
Watercolor Pencil- Staedtler
Punch- EK Success
Cartridges- Makin' the Grade, Stretch Your Imagination
Texture Paste- Golden
Pen- Sakura
Enamel dots- October Afternoon
Mask- Crafter's Workshop
Liquid Pearls- Ranger
Glossy Accents- Ranger

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining us at BBTB2.This is such a fun birthday spread. Love first birthday photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for joining us at BBTB2. I love the way you used the washi tape to make the cake look the way you wanted it to. It turned out really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful layout!! Love the cake cut, the papers and those precious photos!! Thank you so very much for joining our 'Birthday Cake Challenge' at BBTB2!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica you layout is outstanding. I love all of the little details you included!! I really like the SYI birthday cake. And.... When your kids are little getting time to scrap is truly difficult. You will eventually get caught up and wonder WHAT happened!! Thank you for joining us at bbtb2 this week.
    xxSusan

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful layout with all those wonderful pictures to remember that fantastic day! I love your design and the colors and cuts that you chose. The cake is so pretty! Thanks for joining us at BBTB2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have many more pics of my grandson's first birthday party to scrap, so thank you for your inspiration! I especially like how you used the washi tape to alter your Cricut cuts! Thanks for sharing at BBTB2.

    ReplyDelete